Thursday, January 20, 2011

back to binding...

I've been working on binding my FMF quilt off and on this week.  Is it weird that I am not in a hurry to finish it?  I am taking my time because as much as I'd like to have it completed and on my bed, I will be a little sad to have it finished.  Odd?  Maybe.  But you know, I'm also like that when I read a really great book, a series especially.  I really want to finish them, but I am always sad to actually have them completely read.  Seriously, I'm not the only one like that, am I?


So anyways, back to my Flea Market Fancy quilt.  I had originally planned to use a stripey aqua and white fabric, but once I put it with the quilt, it looked too busy to me.  I decided not to put any borders around the quilt, and it is already huge (over 100" each direction) and I did not want it any bigger.  I switched it out for an aqua Kona solid, and I love it.  It is the exact shade of blue as the blue posies background, and it looks so nice butted up against every color in the quilt.  It is also perfect next to the backing, which is a beautiful flat sheet in the same shade of green as the seeds fabric.


I don't always do this with each quilt, but I made myself a little binding necklace to wear around my neck which I sewed it onto the quilt.  Being such a large quilt with 400+ inches of binding, I really did not want it to get tangled up.  So I rolled the fabric up nicely, stuck a leftover piece of yarn through the middle, tied it up, and threw it around my neck.


Yes, it worked perfectly, and the binding unrolled as I needed it.  Does anyone else do that?  It is not a novel idea at all; I read about it in a quilt magazine several years ago and also had a women recommend it in a sewing class around that same time.  I know it may sound a little funny, but give it a try.  Not only does it make it easy to sew on the binding, it also makes you look very attractive. ;) 


I'm spending a little time every evening snuggled up on the couch in front of the woodburning stove, stitching the binding onto the back of my quilt by hand.  It is as cozy as it sounds.  I adore this part.

w/ love, Ang

By the way, I loved reading all of your comments and emails on my last post!  What a variety of thought about work in progress's, and what you prefer.  I have to say I was most surprised by how many of you stick to the "one-project-at-a-time" rule, and I really feel encouraged to get back to that.  I have a couple sewing obligations that I have committed to and will be starting soon, but besides those, I am going to try very hard to get back to making just one project at a time.

26 comments:

  1. What type/brand of flat sheet do you use for backing? I am making a king size quilt for my dad and would love to use a sheet for the backing but have been scared away from that practice by so many other blogs. What are you thoughts? When I am making a 108x108 inch quilt that backing is a beast to create from 45inch wide fabric, not to mention expensive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG that is awesome.. a binding necklace!! I love it!! BRILLIANT!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wear a binding bracelet on my right wrist. It fits loosely and just goes round and round while I sew on the binding.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your idea and will definitely try it whenever I get to the queen-sized quilt I am making my daughter. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like using a flat sheet as the backing for a very large quilt. I make sure I choose one that is of nice quality, and I always prewash and dry once or twice. I have heard people complain about them, but I've never had any problem with them personally.

    If it is a smaller quilt, I usually buy yardage of my favorite print in the quilt. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sure you were really cute with the necklace! I love the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love love love this quilt. I can't wait to see it all finished.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i am so sick with envy over that fmf. but what a brilliant idea for the binding necklace! definitely borrowing that idea!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your quilt is so pretty! Yes...I too need to learn to "sticking to the one project at a time" idea. I'm getting better than I was. Can't wait to see the quilt when it's all finished....

    ReplyDelete
  10. The lime green with that aqua binding is fabuLOUS!!!! Loving it totally:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is going to be fabulous! Can't wait to see it finished! and yes, I am a one project at a time gal...I have to be or I won't finish anything :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow - love that quilt. Gotta love everything about FMF. I am absolutely sad to finish quilts and books. The best part of a project is being knee-deep in the middle and loving every minute.

    AnneMarie @ Gen X Quilters

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this quilt so so much! I missed out on FMF (I just started quilting recently-ish), and I regret it. This is absolutely beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really love this quilt. Do I smell a tutorial/pattern in the future?

    ReplyDelete
  15. The quilt is lovely! I always get my binding wraped around everything and the binding neckalace is a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I can't wait to see the finished quilt! And I use a binding necklace for every single quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  17. this is a lovely quilt! and i love the idea of a binding necklace. so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm always sad when a guilt/book that I have really enjoyed is completed. And the binding necklace is an amazing idea. Thanks. Beautiful quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm the EXACT same way, I like the process almost more than sleeping under the finished quilt. Your aqua is a PERFECT choice!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love stitching binding by hand... makes it seem... proper. A real hierloom quilt for generations to enjoy. Well done :-)

    And may I ask? Did you buy all that FMF years ago when it first came out? I've only just started sewing/quilting 2 years ago and it was already OOP by then... I still own none and can't bear to pay $9/fq. I know there was a push to reprint the collection but I haven't heard any more about it. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'd never heard of a binding necklace! What a fantastic idea.

    You're not weird. I think all of us wish something good would not come to an end. Glad to hear you savored every moment.

    ReplyDelete
  22. First off, I love the colors on your quilt. It looks so fresh and vibrant.

    Second, that's a genius idea for the binding. So simple, but I bet it makes it a lot easier to handle. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  23. can't wait to see this one finished angela, it'll be beautiful, and warm and snuggly too I'm sure! As for the one project at a time, yeah, I definitely need to work through my WIP pile and get on with it! haha, hope you had a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh I love this quilt already. White really makes those prints pop. Wish I had collected this line back when it was more available. Woulda coulda shoulda....

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow I never saw the binding necklace before. Great timimg because I am binding 2 quilts tonight
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  26. I do put my binding on a string around my neck sometimes! It works so well! I really am amazed. If it's a bigger quilt i'm sure to do this, but when they are smaller, I still just let it drape over my shoulder as I work. And cuss a lot. ;)

    ReplyDelete