Wednesday, February 2, 2011

finished - flea market fancy quilt


I finished my Flea Market Fancy quilt last week!  It is has been living on our bed for about 5 or 6 days now, so yesterday I thought I'd bring it down for a quick photoshoot.


I love the finished result.  Everything about it is so bright and happy, which is definitely needed this time of year.  Lots and lots of pictures, I know.  I couldn't help it.  I really like this fabric, and it is so nice to finally have a quilt made completely out it.

 

Here it is crumpled up on the bed before I brought it downstairs.  Is that bad that I was too lazy to spread it out for a picture of the whole thing?  Whoops.


quilt stats
fabrics - Flea Market Fancy by Denyse Schmidt, Kona solid in Bone
binding - Kona solid in aqua, hand sewn
pattern - rectangular bulls-eye design by me
size - approx. 100" x 105"
quilting - echo/shadow quilting by me



Phew.  That is a big quilt, my largest by far!  A quick note on the white solid that I used, since I had many questions and comments about it.  I rarely ever use an actual white solid.  I have three kids plus a dog that lives in the house.  White would never last, so I only use it in items that are for show rather than use, like minis for the table, wall hangings, etc.  For my quilts, where I'd like to use whites, I often substitute Kona Bone instead.  It has the appearance of white when it is paired with other fabrics, but it is more of a creamy, ivory color.  I find that it hides so much, and it washes nicely as well.  I make quilts to be used and loved on, so I prefer to use colors that hide the multitude of messes that come its way.   

Okay, that is it for now.  Hope you are having a great week!  If you are in an area being hit by this big snowstorm, keep warm and safe.

with love, Ang

Previous posts on the making of this quilt:

41 comments:

  1. Congratulations Ang, it is a stunning beauty!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful quilt Angela. I love that you showcased every print. It's truly outstanding. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous! So bright and happy. How much FMF did it take to make this? Do you remember? I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous! It's so bright and cheerful! Perfect for winter :)

    Good tip on the solid! I would have never known it wasn't Snow! It looks so white!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey girl! Your quilt is beautiful...as always. I am glad that I get to see most of your work live. B/c although you are a very talented photographer...especially when it comes to your crafts and kids, they are even better in person. Hope this weather gets better so that we can still scrap/craft on Friday. My week will not be the same without you all! =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love happy quilts. This is so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful quilt and beautiful photos! I am very motivated to get to work on my king size FMF quilt for my bed! ...now to just find the time!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is FANTASTIC!! What an absolutely gorgeous quilt for your bed! I love it. I may have to use this pattern sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's really beautiful! I hope you enjoy it for a good long time!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am in love with this quilt! Did you hand sew the entire thing or just the binding?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Really beautiful! And seeing this quilt cleared up a dilemma for me. I'm joining the Single Girl quilt along and couldn't decide on what fabric to use. I have enough FMF so I'm definitely going with that!

    ReplyDelete
  12. this looks great....even all crumpled up on the bed!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous! The crumpling is fine because then we can see all the beautiful fabrics. It's hard to photograph a large quilt and still be able to see all the detail.

    ReplyDelete
  14. whoa - that is a HUGE quilt! It's absolutely beautiful! I really like kona bone too - it's white enough without being too easily ruined by kids and my cats.

    ReplyDelete
  15. i have quilt envy.. you made a beautiful quilt and the fabric really shines!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh wow...this turned out so beautifully! I love everything about it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Angela, this quilt is just amazing! I can see why it took a few days to get it off your bed to photograph. It just makes me smile :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very nice and very cheerful! Wish we could still get that fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  19. It's gorgeous, Angela! Is the back solid?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Fabulous quilt! So cheery! I am hosting a quilt show/contest on my blog called the Love Nest Quilt Contest. It's for bedsize modern quilts and yours would be perfect!! I hope you'll enter!

    Stop by and check it out!

    http://www.genxquilters.com/2011/01/love-nest-quilt-contest-at-gen-x.html

    AnneMarie @ Gen X Quilters

    ReplyDelete
  21. Mmm is's so refreshing, how lovely to wake up to!
    Clare x

    ReplyDelete
  22. so gorgeous! it'll make being cold worth every second you get be with that quilt!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. really beautiful. nice finishing. and i love the bone!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great photos! It's my favorite quilt in FMF for sure. And thanks for explaining about bone. I've tried snow (it's ok) and now I want to try bone.

    ReplyDelete
  25. So pretty!! I never picked up any FMF since I wasn't into quilting, and all of these amazing projects are making me so jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I keep looking at that Single Girl pattern, trying to decipher the fine line between challenge and punishment. :) Love the look of the quilt, and trying to convince myself I could love making it!

    Your FMF is fabulous. Those fabrics are an all time great. I'm green with envy that you completed a king size. It's gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. just beautiful, what a wonderful way to see all your favorite fabrics everyday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. so beautiful! I'm sure you feel happy every time you look at it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. this truly IS a 'happy' quilt! LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wow, stunning,some people are just so talented.......

    ReplyDelete
  31. Lovely quilt. I've just discovered your blog, very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  32. It's so beautiful and cheery and happy! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Great quilt!! How have I missed your blog before? Problem solved!!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I hope you post the pattern for this quilt! It's really wonderful and yes, very happy!!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Wow, I love this quilt!!!! Just found your blog today and I love your work. I am sure you will be hearing more from me in the future. I was just able to get a little bit of several FMF fabrics on ebay and etsy since I discovered them too late. I can only dream of having a quilt made of all of them.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Wow this is beautiful! I just found this blog recently through the Moda Bakeshop and linked here from your most recent MBS post, Apple Crate Quilt. I am going to try making this pattern with some Christmas fabrics! I have a ton of Christmas fabrics and this pattern will work up nice and quick-which means a bunch of gifts!

    Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete