Thursday, February 3, 2011

goals for 2011

This is one of those posts that I have been meaning to write for awhile.  But here it is, February 3rd already, and I'm just getting around to it.  I'm not quite sure where January went!

I love setting a couple goals for myself each year.  These generally are projects I hope to accomplish.  I try to be reasonable and only set a few goals that I think are achievable, and this year I have two. 


In terms of sewing, I'd really like to make a Single Girl quilt.  I bought this pattern by Denyse Schmidt early on last year, and other than pulling it out to look at it a couple times, I haven't done anything with it yet.  I have pieced several different blocks with curves over the years, but never an entire quilt.  Am I a little intimidated by this pattern?  Oh yeah.  Apparently I'm not the only one.  There is a new group formed by a few of my sewing buds called the Single Girl Support Group.  Starting this month, we are going to make this pattern together, whether it is a pillow or a full out, king sized quilt.  I am hoping for a twin, but if I really love it, maybe a larger one for my bed.  I have yet to decide on fabrics, but I'm leaning towards scrappy with some type of gray background.  Seeing that it is already February, I guess I should decide soon, right?  Who knows, I may like sewing curves so much, I may even tackle a pickledish/double wedding ring!  Make sure you check out the support group if you are interested in joining us.  Are any of you participating?  This is my first quilt-along, and I am rather excited.


 Goal number two for 2011 is to keep a journal.  I was one of those kids growing up that loved writing in my little diary everyday. This lasted well through college, and my little notebooks went with me everywhere. Before my husband and I were married, we kept a joint one.  We were in the midst of a long distance relationship (I was teaching, he was several states away in chiropractic school) and we took turns keeping the journal and writing to each other about our everyday life.  It was a really special way to keep each other updated daily when we couldn't be together.  Since having children, journaling is one those things that has taken a backseat. 


After seeing this post by Camille, I knew I had to get my hands on one of these books.  It is called "One Line a Day - a five year memory book."  There is only enough room to write a sentence or two each day, so it is quick and easy.  Each page is for one day and has five sections (one per year).  For example, today's page is labeled February 3, and tonight I will write something in the first section, and then next year on this date I will write on the same page in the second section, and so on. Make sense?  It will be fun looking back each year to read what was written on that page during the previous years,  and I think it will be a great keepsake for my family.  If you are interested in one for yourself, you can find them HERE.

There you have it, my goals for 2011.  How about you?  Any special goals for the year?  If you've already blogged about your own, please share a link to them in the comments for us all to enjoy.

xo, Angela

16 comments:

  1. I LOVE that you and your husband sent a journal back and forth between the two of you when you were apart. What a unique idea and awesome keepsake!
    Also, the new journal you got is really appealing. I may have to purchase one myself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wrote a bit publicly about my goals this year, but I find myself erring towards the side of privacy. It can put a lot of pressure on oneself to own up to big dreams!

    I do hope that I get around to designing a quilt pattern of my own to enjoy making and to hopefully sell!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The journal between you and your husband must be quite an incredible read to look back upon.

    I wondered have you looked at 'The Happiness Project' blog http://www.happiness-project.com/happiness_project/? I ask, as she wrote on there about how the one sentence journal in a 5 year diary was her way of progressing. Also see her book of the same name.

    Also, good luck with your single girl quilt! I'm impressed with the tackling of all those curved seams.

    My main goal for this year is to make more time for crafting and have a complete draft of my Ph.D. by January 2012! Caroline x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the email and the mention, I'm so glad you are going to One Line a Day too! I'm sure you will love it. Also, your blog is absolutely beautiful. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Creating some goals is a great idea. I am going to have to think of some. I am not sure how to send you the link to my blog...you can help me with that...my blogging guru. Not even sure if that is how you spell that. Haha!

    As for that book...I know that I would have trouble keeping it to a line or two...but I think I am going to have to get one. That would be awesome to see where God would take me day by day in 5 years. Think about it...5 years ago...I had one child. Now I have four. What will the next five years bring. Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooohhh...I love the one line journal idea.

    Sewing wise I want to really try not adding to my stash without a specific project in mind, and *ahem* something else.

    I would really like to run a 10K too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm doing the SGQ-along, too! (I'm Cathy A+ there.) I guess you'd say that's one of my goals for the year. I don't do new year goals.

    That looks like a great book!

    ReplyDelete
  8. First of all, I'm doing the Single Girl project. and based on your FMF quilt, I am using my FMF! I also saw Camille's post about the journal and meant to get one at that time. Thanks for the link today. Because I plan on getting one ASAP.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Coincidentally, I just bought that pattern on sale and was thinking about joining the group. And I also ordered my One Line a Day book after seeing Camille's post. My book arrived yesterday (along with the 4 others I ordered as gifts for friends). I'm thinking about starting both the pattern and the journal tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've had this pattern for ages. The templates are new for me ad I've been puttin git off. Perhaps I'll change my min and band together with all the fearless females out there!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the quilt!

    My goal this year is to quit starting new projects. It won't last!

    Looking forward to sewing with you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I joined the group as well, and I think I've honed in on my fabric stack. I'm excited to work on the quilt soon, and I know the flickr group will help keep me on track!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I so want to get that journal. I actually have had it in my shopping cart for a while, but I think it's an awesome idea. I hope to buy it soon! Good for you on your goals, the single girl quilt will be awesome I'm sure. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have been filling out the journal every day, it's pretty fun. I found it at an airport store last winter. I am also starting the Single Girl quilt! I can't wait to finally make one. I've been sitting on that pattern for over a year.

    ReplyDelete
  15. So, the Single Girl Quilt is something i'd love to do, but i'm just so stinkin terrified of curves that I'll not be doing it for a long while :D.

    I never make resolutions or anything of the sort. I never end up keeping them, but end up doing something completely different. I guess it pays to be a little spontaneous, right?

    ReplyDelete
  16. A friend gave me the One Line A Day book for Christmas and I was so excited. I used to be a good journaler, but lately have been terrible. I'm so happy to have something that gets me going again.

    Can't wait to see your Single Girl progress!

    ReplyDelete