Saturday, February 12, 2011

Single Girl pillow


Here is my first finished Single Girl block.  As much as I like the vintage sheets and Kona cotton in bone finished here with this pattern, I don't want an entire quilt with this much white in it.  I live in the country with a house full of boys, so this would be clean for about one day.  So what did I decide to do with it?  If you know me at all, you know the answer right away...


This is a pretty huge block, and I added some narrow borders to make it 24 inch square.  Then I layered, basted and quilted it (straight lines an inch and a half apart in my favorite design) and made a pillow!


I bought some of this Riley Blake pom pom trim a bit ago from Sew Deerly Loved, and I figured this pillow was just right for it.  The lime green with the vintage sheets in this patten is a perfect match, right?


The back is a simple envelope closure made from Essex linen/cotton blend in natural (I think).  Rather than folding and hemming the edge, it is trimmed in bias tape made from one of the sheets.


I only had 20" form on hand, so the pillow looks a little limp (for lack of better word, sorry!)  With the correct 24" form, it will make nice, oversized pillow for the couch or bed. 


I really do love the vintage sheets in this gorgeous pattern, and I think it would look great in a large Single Girl quilt.  I'm thinking about making a small version for Finley, but I might substitute it with a quilter's linen by Robert Kaufman.  I just ordered some swatches from Simply Solid Fabric, and I can't wait to see them in person.


Hope you are having a nice Saturday!
xo, Angela

ETA - I included links above to where you can find the pom poms and quilter's linen for those of you who are interested.  I know many of you will ask, so I'm one step ahead of you for once. ;) 

26 comments:

  1. I love the pom poms on this! I like to make a contrasting edge along the back of my envelope pillows like that too. It adds a little excitement to the back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love it!! the poms are the perfect finishing touch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the pom poms! They really add to the kitschy vintage air of the vintage sheets prints.

    I think I'm going to turn my Single Girl test block for the quilt along into a pillow cover for the bed to match the crib quilt (which will, after all, be spending a lot of time in the crib in our bedroom too).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I just adore it! I'm not much for Single girl, but I love it here in these fabrics and as a pillow. The pom poms are perfect. Oh, you should SO enter it into Blogger's Pillow Party! If not this month, do it for next - it'll be to win Sherbet Pips! Now I need to find this on Flickr...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aahh! This is out of control cute! The pom poms really make it... and I love the chevron quilting. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loving it much more as a pillow, great job! Oh and check out deckchairStripes.com for some serious pom pom love, they're super helpful about shipping here too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh i love this pillow...the pom poms and the vintage sheets work perfectly!!! i love that quilting....hard to do?

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVE IT! Those pom-poms just "make" the pillow! I don't always comment, but I do check in daily - love seeing your creativity!
    I'm hoping to make some pillows of my own real soon ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the pillow! I was thinking of using my vintage sheet stash with white, but you bring up a very good point with kids in the house. I am going to have to think on this one!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's so cute! And I love the pom-poms, it's just a really great touch for the vintage sheets and pattern. I can't wait to see all of your Single Girl quilts done!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Absolutely love the pom poms - they're the perfect finishing touch!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Super cute...love the pattern that you quilted. Nice work Ang!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. beautiful! I love that pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful! I love your pillow sooo much, I could just hug it! :) I'm making the Single Girl with Amy Butler, but...wow..I would love to make a pillow with Dream On! I could only hope it would be as gorgeous as yours!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Angela, it's gorgeous! So bright and spring-y - it makes me think of daffodils and sunshine!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. oh my, it's the best! the fringe was the perfect accent! love it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You simply can't go wrong with pom pom trim. It's like chocolate. It will always work! :-)

    I love this pillow. Really, really love it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Simply solid fabrics is super close to where I live and I've see the quilters linen in person... you are going to love it!

    Good idea turning your block into a pillow - I can't handle so much white either and I just have a husband and a large dog! :) That has kept me from making one of these quilts but maybe I will try 1 block for a pillow just to try out the technique/pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh I love it! The edge is the perfect finishing touch!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful!! the pom pom trim compliments your pillow perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Are you serious!~!!!????!!!! The Vintage sheets!!! The green pom poms! The quilting!!! I am in LLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOVVVVVVVVVVEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. THis turned out so lovely! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  23. That is a happy pillow. Love the pom-pom trim-- that is the perfect detail! :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi!
    I found you on Pinterest and now I'm your newest follower! You do beautiful work...do you sell you quilts and pillows? I clicked on your shop button and there is only one listed on Etsy. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete