Thursday, May 5, 2011

Habitat quilting

I decided yesterday morning that a Habitat quilting marathon was in order.  You see, this weekend is my annual scrapbooking retreat.  We girls have an overnighter at a local ski resort, and we craft, stay up late, and eat a lot of food.  Since I don't scrapbook, I bring photos to organize in albums, handsewing, and crocheting.  Remember all of those photos I mentioned in this post?  Yep, that is what I'll be working on.

I think hope I'll have all of those pictures organized and filed by the end of the evening, so I decided I should bring this quilt to bind.  The problem?  This time yesterday morning it was still a quilt top only!

That was remedied quickly.  The younger kiddos and I hit Joann's yesterday morning while W was at school.  We picked up some of yardage of this pretty aqua and black fabric by DS Quilts for the backing (I love that line!!), and I spent the evening and this morning at my sewing machine.  Now the quilting is done!  Doesn't that fabric look perfect with Habitat?  This afternoon's naptime will be spent making the binding and machine sewing it down onto the front of the quilt, and then I will work on the handsewing during my trip.  So that is the plan, now I better get to it!

Have a great weekend!!
xo Angela

PS - Yes, I finally painted my living room (mentioned in my last post) and I love it!  Took several days, but it is done.  That is why I am allowing myself to sew again... :)

ETA:  I'm thinking this aqua solid for the binding. Yes??


23 comments:

  1. love the quilt, how exciting to sit down and bind it up! Wish I had a group of friends to do stuff like that with. :) And good for you for painting your living room, what color? I just bought paint to do mine, and I'm hoping I'll get to it sooner than later! it'll be a light gray, hopefully..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the way your backing fabric accentuates the top of your quilt....great choice!

    Toni
    www.lifeinapinkbunnysuit.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. habitat is so great... i might have to get more.

    i'm amazed that you got that all quilted in a day! good job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to see the finished project...it has been fun watching it come together. I wouldn't have thought about adding that DS print (which is my favorite out of the bunch) to the Habitat, but it works so well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow!!!! It looks beautiful with that backing, that was a great choice. :)
    I hope you have a great time and have a chance to bind it this weekend. Again, I am amazed at how you set your mind to something and just get it done. A whole room painted and a quilt finished in one week?! That's great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a rockstar quilt. And yes definitely to the aqua!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Been lurking on your blog for a while and thought I'd come out to say hello! Your work is amazing - thanks for sharing. Your post about ten things about you was great - I am thinking of starting a blog but I'm a private person too. And I love God too...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aqua is my favorite color so I think it should be added to pretty much everything! It's coming along beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That solid aqua will look nice. Very neat quilt. Glad you were able to get your painting all done.
    ~Kimberlee, www.TheSpunkyDiva.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. it looks great, Angela!! Hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So pretty! That DS print is the perfect backing to go with Habitat! Can't wait to see it all finished up! :)

    Have fun on your retreat!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love how those fabrics look all pieced up. Especially love the 'pixelated' fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The aqua? Yes and yes! :) Now I'm even more excited to see it finished.

    I'm somewhat new to your blog and I'm definitely inspired by your work and your desire to not keep a big stash. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looove it! And yes, that aqua is unexpectedly perfect for the binding! Can't wait to see the finished product!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Darn it---I love that back and I was just in Joanns today and picked up (2) 1/2 yd cuts of 2 other prints:) I will have to go back and grab some of this one too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm not saying I'm gonna copy you... But I'm totally gonna copy you! Ths is really perfect for those prints! I have them just staring at me, but I have no idea what to do with them! You figured it out perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's gorgeous and I love the aqua,

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm new to your blog and love this quilt! I'm with i like orange, too, I'm gonna copy you too! At first I wasn't sure about this fabric line,but you've sold me!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the idea of a scrapbooking retreat. I'm about 8 months behind right now. Got to get started soon!

    Quilt is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is my favourite out of all of the quilts you have made~ I love the fabric combination and the aqua!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ever since I saw this quilt on your blog a couple of days ago I can't stop thinking about it. I have been wondering whether it was kosher to completely rip off your idea (not completely as I would use different backing and binding)... this quilt truly rocks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hey Angela, did you use fat quarters to make this quilt?

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete