Wednesday, June 8, 2011

FWQAL - week 2

Good morning!  Here are my next two blocks for the Farmer's Wife quilt along.  Since I am doing the blocks out of order, flipping through the pages and deciding which ones to make is so much fun! 

First up is #61 - Northern Lights, and I used some leftover Habitat dots and Lush woodgrain.  I adore those dots so much, and that woodgrain is one of my top 3 favorite fabrics.  Which is kinda funny, since I barely sew with brown.  Not sure why, I guess it is not one of my favorite colors.  I have a feeling you'll see a lot more of this woodgrain in this quilt

Next I did #62 - Old Windmill.  I love windmill blocks, and this small version was fun to make.  32 little pieces in this one!  It was fun picking out the colors in this one.  I used more Habitat dots, Hope Valley, Tula Pink ladybugs, and some AMH Bohemian.

In other sewing news, I am all finished quilting my Hope Valley quilt and have moved on to the biniding.  I loved reading all of your ideas for the quilting, either stippling or straight line.  I ended up going with stippling for a couple reasons.  I like how the curvy stitching softens the sharp lines of the strings, and also, I enjoy that type of quilting so much more than straight lines!  I love the final result of the straight lines, but to me the process is not nearly as much fun.

I ended up going with Kona in raisin for the binding.  I had the hardest time settling on this.  I thought about using one of the prints in the quilt, but it is already so busy!  I think the raisin goes nicely with the darker purples and will frame the quilt well.  Isn't it so pretty all wrapped up and ready to go?  I love binding.

Okay, time to get moving.  Hope you have a nice Wednesday!  It is supposed to be a hot one here.
xo A

my Farmer's Wife quilt-a-long page and posts can be found here.

22 comments:

  1. I tried to resist... and in the end it got the best of me! My copy of FW is on it's way from Amazon. Looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. really nice choice for the binding. i totally agree! it's going to be beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That raisin color is the perfect choice. The quilt will be a beaut!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Still no book. Looking forward to these surprises each week. Question - are we to quilt the blocks you post each week in that order, or does it matter?

    ReplyDelete
  5. OH how I want that book,need to raise some money fora good cause-lol!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My book FINALLY arrived today, so I'm hoping to catch up on the weekend, can't wait to get started on this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the raisin color, it's a nice alternative to a more traditional dark choice (say, kona coal) and you're right I think it'll look great with the purples and other colors in the quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am waiting for my copy of FW too, like Anne Marie. Your blocks are beautiful. I love binding too. Now...to choose fabrics for FW I guess I better get off the computer.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love that wood grain fabric and the color of your binding, it's going to look great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. See how lovely the fabrics come together in a 32 piece block. I love it. The woodgrain is a fun fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  11. i can't wait to have my own internet connection at home (moving is such a pain)so i can join in on this fun. in the mean time, i will continue to read all of the inspiring letters from farmers' wives and i will patiently await the arrival of the fabric for my fwq!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I MUST learn how to stipple! Your sampler blocks are super cute. I had thought about using Loulouthi and solids, but I'm thinking scrappy now. (Focus, focus, focus....) And Kona raisin is the perfect choice for the binding!

    ReplyDelete
  13. love the binding. and the sampler quilt is going to be awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The sampler blocks look great! I love the contrast in them. The pinwheel one is my favorite. And the string quilt is great - perfect choice for binding.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is so fun to see! The woodgrain looks awesome on that block.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your blocks look AMAZING!!!! Seriously GREAT!!! And the woodgrain is so rad with that aqua! I'm excited for your hope valley quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You fabrics are always so fun; this FWQ will be stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love your Farmer's Wife blocks! I am going to catch up this weekend, my book just arrived.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I couldn't agree more. The binding is the perfect choice for the quilt and anyway choosing binding is the part of quilting (for me anyway).

    ReplyDelete
  20. It's fun to see your blocks and quilt. I think you made a good choice going solid on the binding.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I won't be starting this until July but super excited to get the book from the library and get started!

    ReplyDelete
  22. OK, I keep finding myself thinking about this quilt, so I had to go out and pick up some of this fabric! Thanks for sharing, and I totally agree on the quilting - free motion is so much more satisfying to me, although I love the look of straight line quilting!

    ReplyDelete