Wednesday, June 15, 2011

FWQAL - week 3


Hi there!  Hope that you are having a nice week where you are.  It has been good here, very productive so far.  The weather has been cooler than normal, but we took advantage of that yesterday and finally put mulch in our two gardens.  Now they look nice and neat, love that.  In more important news... Finley took her first steps yesterday!  Just one or two at a time.  She is a little over 11 months, so I guess it is about that time.  Sigh.


I am having so much fun with my FWQAL blocks!  I love making them.  The first one that I made this week is #60 - Noon & Light.  I used the templates to make this one, and though it took awhile, it came together nicely.  I really like how the book templates work, the notched corners really do make it quite a bit easier to line up all of the corners when sewing.  For this block, I used Aneela's Sherbet Pips, AMH Good Folks, and Freespirit dots.


My second block for the week is #87 - Star Gardener.  I used a pink woodgrain from Joel Dewberry and a Parisville print from Tula Pink in this one.  I love this block, it may be may favorite so far!  I have to tell you though, I was so thrilled when I measured it at the end and found that it was the correct size overall.  I was a little nervous about that one!  All of those tiny little squares and HST's measure 1" finished, and there are close to 60 little pieces in this one 6.5" block. 


Okay, time to crawl out from under my Habitat quilt and head out for a playdate with some friends.   Amanda will be posting about her blocks later on today, so be sure to check them out too. :)
xo, Ang

This post is part of the Farmer's Wife Quilt-a-long, please feel free to jump in at any time!  More information and previous posts can be found HERE.

30 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your little girl first steps! What a magic period, enjoy every minute!

    Your blocks are beautiful, traditional design yet so modern and updated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just ordered the Farmers Wife book and it should be here next week----right now I am behind 6 blocks. Your blocks #5 and #6 look look very challenging. Hope I haven't taken on too much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I began blogging JUST to participate in this QAL. Okay, well, I'd been meaning to start a quilty blog for a while, but this was my motivation. I'm still waiting for the book to arrive and play catch up, but that Star Gardener block has me anxious! I think I saw on the Flickr group that you are trying to do one easy and one hard block each week ... that might be a good approach for me! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Star Gardener is fabulous! That Parisville print is one of my faves!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't have time to start these until July and will be a whole month behind, boo. I'm only going for a Farmer's Girlfriend tho (lap quilt - 50 blocks) so I guess that isn't so bad but still... I want to play too!! :)

    What I'm trying to say is... love these blocks and the weekly inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I started the blocks yesterday and made 6. I will be meeting with our Modern Quilt Guild Saturday and will bring the book, what I have done so far and the link to your blog. This is fun but also some of the many pieced blocks are a challenge and caused me a do over. Oh well, those can be part of a rug mug don't you think?

    ReplyDelete
  7. ok, just got my book yesterday. Can't wait to get going on a couple blocks. Beautiful work this week. Although I'm a little nervous about that 60 piece one. Hope my newbie skills don't botch it up. Have a great week:D

    ReplyDelete
  8. These blocks are so adorable! I wish I had time for this QAL, but I think I might be just as happy watching you gals' progress. P.S. how exciting for Finley! You'd better get your roller blades on soon, girl! (to keep up)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Star Gardener is so pretty though!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Betty Lou and Modern Amish - please don't be discouraged! The blocks aren't very difficult, just time consuming and require an accurate 1/4" seam allowance. That is why we are doing 2 a week and taking our time. Feel free to start with the simpler blocks and work your way to the harder ones. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. looks awesome! each block will be so fun by itself, but when they're all together - wow!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh, little Finley is walking! Time so flies. I still have that image of her in the moses basket in my head. The sweetest baby!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your blocks....I won't get my book till July!! Ohh the joys of living in Canada. I'll have to work like a mad woman to catch up to everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  14. They look lovely! Love the use of red and pink in Noon and Light.I'm just preparing tomorrow's post on my third set of blocks, which means I've finally caught up with the quilt along!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love your blocks - I'm off to sew some now. Congrats to Finley girl! Isn't it sad how fast they grow up?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your blocks are beautiful, love all of those perfect little points. I haven't made my blocks this week yet. But the week is still somewhat early. We too have been enjoying the cooler weather, today we went to go fly a kit.
    Congratulations on your little one's first steps. Oh, how they grow so quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  17. How can I resist NOT doing the FWQAL after reading so much about it in Blog Land!? My book was ordered last night (come on Amazon!) and I'm now thinking about what fabric to use. This is going to be a blast!!...Great idea Ladies!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Now is the time to start putting all the breakables up a shelf with your little one on the move if you haven't already done so! Great times ahead though!

    Your new blocks are very striking and I love the red/pink thing in your first one. I have posted my first two on my blog and in the flickr group! Yeah!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow wow wow .... your pieced blocks are amazing. I'm waiting on my book to arrive and cant wait to get started. Thanks for the great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Eeks-can't believe I'm doing this, but I'm in!

    ReplyDelete
  21. these are so beautiful!!! i can't wait to get some internet connection back so i can begin to blog about my blocks. i must say that all of those little tiny triangles are a might intimidating - but you make it look so easy!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow, your blocks are so gorgeous, Angela! Love that woodgrain paired with Parisville!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love that wood grain fabric. Your blocks are shaping up nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I just joined the group and am new to your blog. I can wait to page through your blog and look at the pretty pics. I bought my book tonite and am totally stoked!

    ReplyDelete