Wednesday, June 22, 2011

fwqal - week 4

This post is part of the Farmer's Wife Quilt-a-long, please feel free to jump in at any time!  More information and previous posts can be found HERE.


Hey friends!  Can you believe that we are four weeks into our Farmer's Wife quilt-a-long?  That was fast.  I am having so much fun with these little blocks.


My first block for the week is #27 - Darting Birds.  Lots of little pieces to this one, but don't be scared by them!  As long as you slow, use your pins, and sew with an accurate 1/4" seam allowance, I promise they aren't bad!  For this block I used mostly squares and HST's, and then a few triangles traced from the book's templates.  The purple print is from Bohemian by Anna Maria Horner, and the gray scallops are from Bonnie and Camille's Ruby.


My easier block this week is #29 - Economy.  I used lots of favorites in this one - Lecien folklore trees, Sherbet Pips square dots, and American Jane mono pez.  I am completely in love with this one, but I wish I would've remembered to fussy cut the middle square on point.  Oh well!


Here is a little round up of the blocks I made during the first month.  I think they are playing nicely together so far!  That makes me happy. 


Just a side note on the book templates.  I've had several emails about the notched/curved/whatever-you-call-them corners, and why they are shaped the way they are.  Many people are confused by them, but really they are so beneficial!  They allow your pieces to line up so nicely when you sew them.  I took a closeup shot while I was sewing my first block today, and it'll give you an idea of how the templates line up if you are confused.  Notice the upper right corner of the fabric that is laying wrong side up:


Hope that helps a little!  Also, if you need more template help, there is a really great thread full of tips.  I'll end with a cute picture from this morning.  My little helpers (and iced coffee) are never too far.  :)


Don't forget to head over to Amanda's and check out her blocks, too!
xo, Ang



10 comments:

  1. Fabric, fluids and children all within arms-reach - you are braver than me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, your blocks are looking amazing, Angela! I love the one with the mono pez especially :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been baffled by the interest in this FWQA and then I see your blocks and I'm like WOW, AMAZING. There's something about your fabric and color choices that makes this really fresh and fun. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. cute.
    Is the link to Amanda's site this one: http://msmcporkchopquilts.com/ ? Since the other link tells me the site cannot be found.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't wait to see the finished article. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am having a great time with the FWQAL. Thanks for getting it started. Your blocks are cute. All those little triangles. Lots of pins is also my motto.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha! I could've taken that last picture in my home, iced coffee, my craft (fwqal) and my kids and their craft. Good to know another mom out there does this too!

    The notchy corner things are a pain to cut, but they are so useful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. these are so fantastic! I have been stalking the flickr group and so enjoying everyone's blocks! I just caved and ordered the book! :)
    obviously, I will be way behind but it will be fun all the same. thanks for all of the eye candy.
    I am SO jealous of your ruby! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are gorgeous! I did exactly the same thing today with Economy and fussy cut without thinking of the block being on point. Some catchup for me today as I have only just started! 5 blocks done though so making progress! I'll hopefully get some pics up on flickr and my blog tomorrow. Thanks so much for organizing, I had so much fun today choosing fabrics and I love that we aren't repeating blocks :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have yet to start my fwqal blocks but I'm getting lots of inspiration from yours.

    ReplyDelete