Wednesday, July 20, 2011

FWQAL - week 8


Week 8 of the Farmer's Wife QAL - crazy!  This was a odd week for me.  It has been very busy, so I didn't even get to start working on my blocks until this morning.  I decided two things:  I needed to do a couple easy-ish blocks, and I needed to make them green, which is the color I am lacking right now.  How did I do with those two goals?  Terrible!!  They were both harder blocks, and neither of them have green.  Oh well, green next week for sure.


I did two of my favorite blocks in the entire book.  The blue one is #83 - Spider Web.  I used blue seeds from Denyse Schmidt's Flea Market Fancy and Habitat dots for this one.  I love how it turned out, though my center points aren't perfect.  They aren't cut off, but one is a little lopsided.  I'm okay with that (I think).

I also made Block #80 - Single Wedding Star.  This is another favorite.  I felt like sewing with some Heather Ross fabric today, so I fussy cut some of her fish fabric and paired that with some orange Kei dots.  I am pretty happy with this one, no lost points or corners.


There are some blocks in the book that I don't love, so I plan on making these again at some point.  It will be fun to see them in different fabrics, I bet they won't even look like the same block. 

Make sure you check out Amanda's beautiful blocks this week!  She always picks the cutest fabric.
xo, A

This post is part of the Farmer's Wife Quilt-a-long, please feel free to jump in at any time!  More information and previous posts can be found HERE.

34 comments:

  1. I keep practicing and hope that someday I can have one offset point as my only issue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blocks are really pretty. Every time I see your blocks they make me thinking closer to buying the book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They're both brilliant blocks (favorite fabrics)!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your fussy cutting of the fish! Super cute, and great work! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can I just tell you right now how jealous and in love with that fish block I am? I want to get some of that fabric so bad but its SO expensive if you can even find any. This block is by far my favorite FWQA block I've seen... and not just because of the fish. Its super modern and original, but also has a great traditional pattern and is simply lovely. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just adore you fabrics! Happy and fun.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think the single wedding star block is the cutest! Love how you fussy cut the squares - just too darn cute.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was just looking at your blog last night and thinking really hard about starting this huge task. I even picked the book up at my local quilt store today, then put it back down. I am way too new to take on something like this. Maybe next year! Your blocks are amazing by the way. I love the fish :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. love them! those little fishies are just too cute :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those little fish are just adorable. I love FMF although I don't own too much of it. I have not even cut into it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the fabrics you used this week for your blocks. I also decided to skip around this week and did block #80, but your little fishies are way cuter.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm with Tiffany on this - so jealous of those little fish!! Beautiful blocks. Thank you for this fun little qal!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my goodness, I love these. Maybe my favorite of yours so far. And that is saying a lot! You are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh my GOSH!!!! You totally have stolen my heart!!! These blocks are so so so so so perfect!!! AHHHH!!! I have a feeling I'm going to want to steal your quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love all your blocks. You have such great taste. I look forward to what you've done every week.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great blocks. I love your fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  17. These blocks are so cute! The Heather Ross fish rock :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Both blocks are adorable! Love the color combos you used.

    ReplyDelete
  19. A very clever use of some very special fabric. These blocks are going to rock the quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love, love, love the fussy cut fish!

    ReplyDelete
  21. They look amazing despite them being a "fail" for the week. We're holding you to using green next week!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love them. And the fish one has to be my favourite FWQ block I've seen posted so far (not that I have looked at everyones blocks). I think I'm going to hsve to go hunting for that fish fabric and hope it's still available :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm behind too - realise I haven't done any FW blocks this week yet - yours may not be green but they are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I am so glad everyone helped me fixe my commenting today I have not been on twitter much and wanted to tell you how much I have enjoyed your craftiness the last few weeks. Your eye candy is amazing!

    Thank you for sharing Ang

    ReplyDelete
  25. aww, i love those goldfish and your fussycuts are perfect. great blocks, as always!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Okay, am I blind or just tired? I thought I left you a comment. LOVE the blocks, they are just lovely. Always! I'm so jealous of your aqua seeds- totally wishing I would have stashed a little FMF back in the day.

    Also, is it really week 8? Umm, I'm a little behind...

    ReplyDelete
  27. Crap. Just found my comment... I guess you get double praise on these blocks! Should probably cut my losses and go to bed.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I've been eyeing that design for the goldfish block. Love the prints you used.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Love your blocks! The spiderweb is one of my favorites. I made it as my second block for this my first week. So excited to join in the fun!

    ReplyDelete
  30. These are super cute. When I see blocks like these, I question my decision to use shot cottons...

    ReplyDelete
  31. Both blocks are lovely, but the fish with the dots are just a perfect combination.

    ReplyDelete