Saturday, July 16, 2011

sewing this week.

Remember this pretty stack of fabrics from the other day?  Now it is a quilt!  I've been busy.


I had a marathon quilting day on Thursday.  Well, by marathon, I mean quilting during Finley's two naptimes and in the morning before the kiddos woke up.  I didn't mean to do spend Thursday's free time that way.  The plan was to clean the house for company that was coming (and is now here) this weekend.  But I couldn't help myself.  I had basted the quilt the day before, and it was just sitting there waiting for me.  AND it was to be be free motion quilted in a meandering pattern, which is my favorite way to quilt.  It is so much fun for me.


Now I am watching my favorite movie and handsewing while the little ones are napping.  I really enjoy tacking down the binding.  I ordered some straw needles last week, I wish they were here already.  I've never used them before, but I know many people swear by them and love using then for handsewing.


Aren't these little illustrations from Little Apples so charming?  I love them.  This quilt is for an upcoming tutorial, so hopefully I'll be able to share the whole thing with you in a month or two.  Hope your Saturday is going well!  This summer is going way too fast.
xo, A

22 comments:

  1. Gorgeous fabric, gorgeous quilt and such pretty quilting. It doesn't seem like summer wants to arrive where I live so I'm working on fall inspired blocks today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is really cute fabric. I just want to know what your trick is to getting your stitch spacing so even when you do free motion quilting. I'm still working on mine, but seems like my stitches are usually smaller not as even as yours.
    Good job on it and can't wait to see the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  3. so darling--thanks for sharing! (glad you went with sewing and not cleaning when you were inspired!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can tell it is going to be an amazing quilt already! I'm a straw needle fan.

    ReplyDelete
  5. little apples!? so jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can't wait to see the tutorial ~ this quilt looks gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i love that movie!!!! can't wait to see the whole quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looking gorgeous! I adore that line of fabrics. Can't wait to see it whole. Never heard of straw needles. Must look them up.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can't wait to see this! Do tell....what are straw needles? I've never heard of them!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like you had a good day Thursday. Yeah quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love that mustard gold color in those fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You've just named two of my best quilting times - nap time and early in the morning!! It's amazing how much you can get done in a short period of time if you're ready for it....

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love doing the binding too! your quilt looks GREAT!

    ReplyDelete
  14. EEEkkkks! Stranger than fiction is one of my favorite movies too! Lovely quilt :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. looove this angela, it looks so pretty. oh and I got distracted when you talk about your kids napping, I so wish mine would. oh well!

    ReplyDelete
  16. oh my gosh! Angela! I love love love this! Do you zig zag your edges so the binding is easy to put on? I've never seen this before but it looks REALLY neat!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I can't wait for the tutorial, I have bought some of teh Little Apples charm packs on etsy and can't decide what to do with them!

    ReplyDelete