Tuesday, August 30, 2011

new favorite and fall sewing

I bought myself an iPad this week. It is kind of funny. I am about as low-tech as can be: no cable TV, still use a tracfone, etc, but I do love my Apple products. I saved up my hard earned sewing money from custom quilt orders and future book projects (eee, it's true!), and treated myself to a fun new gadget. One of my favorite new apps is Instagram. It is a quick and easy way to take pictures, if you are not familiar with it. I am slightly obsessed with it, in case you can't tell.

Playing with instagram, my favorite new way to take pictures.2hr afternoon nap. :)
playing with Instagram - an afternoon nap

Picking veggies from the garden to can salsa.Picking veggies from the garden to can salsa.
harvest

Pretty girl. 13 months old.the road to my house
baby girl at 13 months - the road to our house

Eli in the morningRelaxing with a heating pad on my neck. I think I need to make it a cute cover.
Eli in the morning - ugly heating pad

We had a good first week of school here. Weston is enjoying it, and I'm enjoying a quieter house and a schedule. I've gotten to spend more one-on-one time with the younger two. Though it is warm in the day, the autumn chill is creeping in during the night. It is getting me excited for some handsewing on the couch. Less time at the machine, more spent under quilts and afghans. I think the first thing I need to make is a sleeve for my iPad, maybe some English paper piecing? I haven't made any hexagons or diamonds in awhile. I'd like to make a heating pad cover too, that plaid has got to go.  I also need to start a list of Christmas gifts that need to be made.  Time to get planning! 

How about you? Does your sewing and crafting change when fall comes rolling in?

xo Ang

16 comments:

  1. yes it does. planning on hand quilting my first this fall. very excited about that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hand quilting is back "In" I have to finish some of my quilts and then I will start hexies. I did start a design it was random, from what I see you should have the same fabric for each circle. We will see.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish it would get cooler here. It was 112 on Sunday. Yuk. Temps are supposed to go down to the 90's this weekend. Yeah. An ipad is on my list. Going to be awhile. They will probably be up to ipad4 before I get around to it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the summer but, sitting in the sun, hand stitching the binding of a polyester-fleece backed quilt, in a bikini, is not something I wish to repeat!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, mine changes. First, I am able to sew more period. Our summers in Michigan are short enough to make it hard to sit and stitch as much because we are so busy getting caught up on outdoor projects.
    I look forward to autumn days. I love the nostalgia it brings. It's such a good time to reflect :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh fun! I almost want to get one, almost. :) love the pics of you, you're so pretty. And book projects? fun, can't wait to hear more.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always prefer and sewing to machine sewing as sitting at a machine is too reminiscent of siitting at the computer, microscope or lab bench at work. So that much doesn't change with the seasons. Butwith autumn coming I do feel the desire to knit coats for winter, so find myself doing a bit of that lately. When I lived in Australia, the seasons were a lot more dictatorial.

    The ipad is fun isn't it. I finally got around to making a cover for mine yesterday. Yep, hand sewn too. You can see it on my blog if you're curious. I look forward to seeing yours.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I bust out my knitting in the fall. I lose interest about spring time in knitting projects (because I'm not very good at it and I spend most of my time ripping stitches out), but every fall I'm determined that "This is the year I become a good knitter!"

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have so enjoyed seeing your pics!! And I can't WAIT to hear more about this book thing!! :D I agree - the cooler weather lends itself to some slower stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great photos!! Love the road to your house too! Our driveway is about 6klms long.... and it's about 60klms from town to the start of our driveway! But it's definately not as pretty as yours!! We're heading into Spring here (Australia)... and I always find it's so hot we don't want to do much. I have a couple of quilts to hand quilt - should have gotten them done during winter!! Oh well!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mine sure changes! When boat season is over, I can sew on Saturdays (usually) and it's much more comfortable to work on hand-quilting and bindings at night when the AC's not struggling to keep it cool upstairs! Of course, I start spending a lot more time inside when ragweed starts blooming in August, so I get a jump on fall a little early!

    ReplyDelete
  12. yes colours will probably go warmer....!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are so talented, the dress is sweet, my daughter is 26 now, but when she was little I made a lot of her dresses and pajamas. I also purchased the 241 tote bag pattern after seeing it on your blog, I plan to make it with some Saffron Craig fabric I have in my stash. Saffron is a fabulous Australian fabric designer. Fresh and contemporary. How many FWQA blocks have you made so far, I am up to 26 and think I have cought up to the group as I started late.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations on the book, Angela! I have just started to think about Christmas gifts too. errr.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Book projects? So excited to hear what those will be!

    ReplyDelete