Wednesday, August 17, 2011

week 12 - FWQAL

I am so happy to be sewing Farmer's Wife blocks again this week.  I missed sewing them last week, and I had a lot of fun with these little blocks.  We are now on week 12, and I now have 24 blocks finished.

Starting from the top is #44 - Gentleman's Fancy.  I love these square-in-square kinda blocks.  I used a blue basket weave from Denyse Schmidt's Katie Jump Rope line along with a purple print from Anna Maria Horner's Bohemian. 

The second block is #69 - Practical Orchard, and this was a quick and easy block to make.  The green print is another AMH Bohemian, and the white is a seed text from Annie's Farm Stand.

The bottom block is #41 - Friendship Star.  I've always love this block, I'd really love to make a quilt out of it someday.  Maybe something in solids?  Anyways, I used red American Jane rulers and a pink and red dot from DS Quilts.

So far I'm still sticking with templates and rotary cutting when I can.  I am hoping to do some paper piecing at some point, I just haven't gotten to that yet.  I've formed a little schedule for my FW blocks that seems to work good to me.  I never have a long enough chunk of time to make two blocks in one sitting, so breaking them down into steps works the best.  I find that if I choose 2 blocks and pull fabrics one evening, trace and cut pieces another day, then sit down and sew them together yet another day, things go pretty smoothly.  Oh, life with kids.  :)

In other news, my oldest starts kindergarten one week from today.  We just picked up his school uniform this afternoon, and he is totally pumped.  Now we just need to pick out supplies (which was always my favorite part) and he is set. :)

xo, Angela

This post is part of the Farmer's Wife Quilt-a-long, please feel free to jump in at any time!  More information and previous posts can be found HERE.

15 comments:

  1. gorgeous blocks as always! I just got some of the feed sack fabric in the mail today, and I can't wait to use it for something special.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your blocks Angela, easpecially that Frienship Star. I'm really loving the QAL too and have the same strategy as you - life with kids :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such pretty blocks! I especially love that Friendship Star!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck with your kindergarten kid!! What fun!! I have one in kindergarten (here in my state in Australia that's the year before grade 1) this year and one starting kindergarten in February next year. She is so excited already!! Love your FW blocks!! Very fresh!

    ReplyDelete
  5. the blocks look so great!! good luck with you're baby going to school. my niece is growing up so fast and she's so far away I only get to see her twice a year. sadness! they grow up so fast :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. The friendship star is wonderful Well they all are, but that one is my favourite.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Picking out school supplies is almost as good as going to the craft store. I love your Friendship Star, what great focal fabric!
    ~Kimberlee

    ReplyDelete
  8. kindergarten! eep! So so so exciting!!!! Your gentlemen's fancy block is so so so great!!!! But they really all are! I really like that red ruler print too! so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ack, that friendship star is Gorgeous! This was the first year I took my kids school shopping, and we enjoyed it. I'll admit that it was hard to say "no" to them because they started wanting to buy everything and I kind wanted to too... Yep, I always loved school shopping!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the ruler fabric with the DS dots.

    ReplyDelete
  11. i remember when my oldest started kindergarten 25 years ago...(wow,i didn't think i was that old ha!) anyway, it was a bit hard for me, as it was when the next year my other daughter did, and even when my oldest granddaughter did 7 years ago,,,and we always loved school shopping and the smell of the fresh crayons! it is so exciting~be sure to get lots of pictures~xo~

    ReplyDelete
  12. love the blocks! your fabric combinations are just perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  13. really nice FWQ squares! I'm almost ready to dive in.

    ReplyDelete
  14. love the purple AMH fabric...jealous! Good job...

    ReplyDelete
  15. I did a friendship star quilt once....i got really sick of the triangles. I think because it had triangles in all four corners too. (picture here: http://bluecrabquilting.blogspot.com/) It was tedious to make the centers match for some reason. Maybe because it wasn't as pretty of fabric as you always seem to have.

    ReplyDelete