Monday, October 17, 2011

Sewing Summit 2011

Hi friends!  It has been a busy couple weeks since I last posted.  Sewing Summit has come and gone, and it was amazing.  It was everything I was hoping for, really.  For me it was all about the people.  I've been blessed with some great friendships through our online sewing community, and I loved spending time with these people.  I made a lot of new friends and met quite a few people who read my little blog too, which was pretty amazing.
Flight
My trip started Thursday around lunchtime with a 3 hour drive to our closest airport.  I love traveling alone.  It is something I did quite often when I was single, and the last time was when I went to a Weekend Sewing retreat with Heather Ross and Denyse Schmidt a couple years ago.  I enjoyed the long drive and quiet time in the airport and on the planes.  It was fun to read, people watch, and just take my time.  I met up with my good friend Jessica for the second leg of the flight, so that made it even better!
Chilling by myself in the airport.
Friday morning, this Amanda was nice enough to drive us around on a little fabric shop hop of our own.  At the first store, we found a Farmer's Wife book!  This other Amanda and I couldn't help ourselves, we had to get a picture with it.
Me and Amanda!!
Lunch that day was Cafe Rio.  I was so excited to find one, we don't have these where I live in PA!  I love Mexican food, and it definitely lived up to my expectations.
Cafe Rio!!
Friday evening we had an opening reception, then we spent the evening learning to knit.  I picked out some beautiful Madeline Tosh Vintage yarn, and I am working on the Honey cowl.  I am not very good at it, and I am so so slow.  Hopefully I'll get better!
Learning to knit. Kinda.
Saturday was class day, but Amanda, Jessica and I skipped our first class.  Camille was in town that weekend, so we went to breakfast with her and her sweet little Nicholas at a coffee shop down the road from the hotel.  She is every bit as sweet and genuine as she comes across on her blog, and that little man is such a doll! 
Breakfast with friends! @heyporkchop @croskelley @twinfibers
Saturday afternoon was filled with classes.  I had a great time assisting Jeni in her class, and then next was Amanda's class on mini quilts.  They both were very knowledgeable and inspiring.  At the end of Jeni's class, we surprised everyone with free Kona cotton color cards gifted from Robert Kaufman, so that was a lot of fun!
Kona cards
That night was a lovely dinner at a local brewerie.  It was hosted by the sweet Jennifer and Elena.  They surprised us with gift bags full of everything from Olfa products to FQ stacks of fabric.  We were shocked!
Dinner!
That last evening was another late night.  We were up until 2AM (which is 4AM my time!!) chatting in the lobby and sewing room, and I had to get up at 6 that morning to get to the airport.  I decided to skip the last day of classes in order to head home.  It was a long day of traveling.  I left SLC at 8AM and got to my house 8PM.  I was bummed I had to leave early, but in the end I'm glad I did.
Sick and snuggly baby.
Of course I was thrilled to come home to my family.  The not so good thing?  I came home to a house full of sick people.  We spent most of last week snuggled up on the couch under quilts.
It is a movie and quilts kinda day
So that is a little bit of my Sewing Summit experience.  There is a fun linky party over here if you'd like to read other people's blog posts about it.  Erin and Amy are already planning next year's conference, and I am looking forward to it already. 

xo, Angela

PS - Oh, and I almost forgot!  My favorite thing when meeting people at the Sewing Summit: I'd see a person look at my face, then check my right foot for my star tattoo, and then they'd come up and say hi.  This happened so many times!  Apparently the little star was confirmation that I am me.  :)

22 comments:

  1. Great re-cap Angela! I'm so glad everyone has so much to share for those of us who couldn't be there. Next year fo sho!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your recap Angela! It was so great meeting you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, it was such a great weekend! I enjoyed seeing you again and meeting up with such a great group of people. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the photo of the solid fabric charts. Looks like you had a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an amazing experience. It's something I'll never be able to do... so I'll have to live through people like you!
    Hugs to your little ones... hope they're all on the mend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Angela, I was so happy to meet you! I didn't even need the star tattoo to confirm....the whole weekend I felt like your blog icon was floating around the summit! lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. it sounds like such a wonderful experience! and i love the way you wrote about traveling alone- for me that is such a lovely, relaxing thing as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm sure there was lots and lots of laughing going on! Looked like loads of fun :) I'm bummed I didn't go! Hopefully I'll be able to next year :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Was so great to meet you at Summit! I didn't need to check your foot either - I knew it was you from your blog photo! That Madeline Tosh yarn is the best - you'll love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like a great time. I was worried when I didn't see you post for so long.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm sol jealous of everyone who went and enjoyed themselves! Glad you had a good time. I love reading everyone's recaps, it's fun to hear what everyone mentions.

    ReplyDelete
  12. loved your recap Ang!! looks like you had a blast!! :)

    x, H

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh so much fun :) And, you are an A+ assistant, thank you, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It looks like you had such a great time! Hopefully I'll be there next year too! And I can't wait to see your finished honey cowl - I knit one last year and adore it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks like you had lots of fun, even with it being shortened. Welcome to the slippery slope of knitting with specialty yarns. You'll get better and faster and become addicted in no time. Once you start there's no looking back :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Why do we all have to live so far apart? Wish that breakfast like that could be weekly!! Heart you girls!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Awhh looks like so much fun! Glad you got away with some fun ladies. What a treat. Hope the little ones are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You've picked some wonderful yarn and a great pattern to learn to knit with, madtosh yarn is oh-so-soft, and the honey cowl is a great pattern. I can't wait to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. It was so fun to meet you, Angela!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am really enjoying everyone's Sewing Summit posts. It looks like you had a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What fun that must have been! Sorry your littles were sick when you got home, I bet they were happy to have you back!

    I am a Pa girl, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sewing summit sounds amazing! you luckything to get all those show bag goodies. Its sad to see everyone sick but least they looked wonderful with those quilts over them.
    Mxo

    ReplyDelete