Saturday, November 19, 2011

farming again - FWQAL week 25

I've been farming again, and it has been so enjoyable.  I forgot how much fun these blocks are to make.  They are so addicing!  Once you make a couple, it is hard to stop.  I made 7 last week.

#58 - Mother's dream
58 -  Mother's Dream - my favorite from this batch.  I think the aqua herringbone and gray heath are pretty much the perfect fabrics.

#57 - morning 
57 - Morning

#63 - ozark maple leaf 
63 - Ozark Maple Leaf.  Love these two fabrics together.  You know that woodgrain is one of my all time favorites, and that yellow from DS Quilts is so pretty.  I used this for the backing of my Swoon quilt (which has been quilted and is now ready to be bound... eeee!)

#103 - whirlwind 
103 - Whirlwind.  This is definitely my least favorite of the batch.

#111 - monkey wrench 
111 - Monkey Wrench.  I sure love this block (I think it is the same as churn dash?)  I'd like to make a whole quilt from this block someday.

DSCF5210 
109 - Windows. 

#108 - windmill 
108 - Windmill.  I really like this one, but the yellow (which is so pretty and from Pat Bravo) might be a little much.  I am thinking that if I use it in a couple other blocks that it will look okay.  But I may just redo the block, not sure yet!

43 so far! 
Now I am up to 43 blocks.  I am still a few behind, hopefully I'll be caught up in the next few weeks.  Once I get to the halfway point, which is 56 blocks, I'll lay them all out again and get a few pictures.  I think that will help me decide what colors/prints/etc I'm lacking, and maybe then I can finally decide on sashing and layout.  I am having the hardest time deciding!!

43 so far!

Speaking of layouts, did you see this and this??  Seriously, check them out.  They are crazy beautiful and inspiring.  Be sure to check out Amanda's latest blocks.  She has been farming like crazy, and they are as beautiful as always.

Hope you are having a good weekend!
xo, Angela

This post is part of the Farmer's Wife Quilt-a-long, please feel free to jump in at any time!  More information and previous posts can be found HERE.

16 comments:

  1. They're looking great! :) Hope your weekend is going well, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the Ozark Maple Leaf!!! Well, I love all of them . . . great color choices. Someday I will get back to farming ;) Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 'morning' and 'ozark maple leaf' are my favorite! you're awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been so tempted to start "farming"...holding off until the New Year as I have a few projects I want to complete and thinking I will become way to obsessed once I begin.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love making the blocks while I am doing it... but the thought of being able to catch up (I'm only on 12 I think) is sooooo daunting. I am currently unmotivated for it. Maybe you've inspired me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just love how you put everything together! You have a great eye for color.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love seeing all your bright scrappy blocks, makes me wish i had gone with a more modern look. I have been "Farming" independently since mid July. I have done almost 80 blocks in various William Morris style fabrics from my stash. It looks very similar to the original.I began from number one but after No 10 realised if i followed the diagonal grid i could sash and join up the blocks as i went. Very satisfying to see it grow.
    Maybe next year i'll do one in the "brights"

    ReplyDelete
  8. so many good ones in this batch! I love that Pat Bravo yellow, I would definitely keep it. And I agree, I'd love to make a churn dash quilt soon, maybe from all solids. I really love the design of mother's dream too. yeesh, I might have to jump in on some farming!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your contemporary style tempted me to try something different with my blocks, I am making them in bright moderns and am using black sashing with lime green cornerstones and setting trianges. I am almost half way through, (just finished block 54 today) and have sewn 6 rows together as I was itching to see how they would look, but also scared at the daunting task of putting the whole thing together at the end. I try to sew one row on a month.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful!!! I really want to start those!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous gorgeous. I'm hoping after I'm done with all my Xmas crafting I can start farming for real too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've just purchased the book and i'm lookking forward to farming. Hopefully in january! Love your choice of fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oooh, such beautiful blocks! You are inpsiring me - and I hope to soon get back to my measly few blocks and get going again. Happy sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love how bright yours are! So pretty! And I don't think that yellow is too much! It's so purtyyy.

    ReplyDelete
  15. So lovely Angela- I adore them all. I've been following your FWQA progress for awhile now (I'm not in it so just living vicariously through you!), and I can't wait to see them all laid out at the half way point!

    ReplyDelete
  16. hey - there's an app for JoAnn's for apple and android phones. that way, you can ALWAYS have a coupon with you. :)

    ReplyDelete