Monday, June 25, 2012

On a Whim.

On a Whim quilt
I decided to surprise a friend with a quilt a little while back.  She had mentioned that her daughter's room was decorated in purples, blues, and greens, so I wanted to make a quilt to go with that.  I don't work with purples much, I don't know why!  I love purple.  Remember my kaleidoscope quilt from last year?  One of my favorites.

On a Whim quilt
I fell in love with Camille's On a Whim when it was first released so I knew right away what pattern I wanted to use.  I usually pull fabrics for the quilt top first, then the backing, and the binding last, but this time I worked backwards.  I knew that I wanted to use this multi zig zag as a binding, so I pulled fabrics from my stash that went well with this print. 

On a Whim quilt
On a Whim quilt
These blocks are large and really fun to make, so the quilt top went quickly.  I had it finished in under two weeks.  With three little ones in the house, that is pretty fast for me!

On a Whim quilt
This quilt is already being enjoyed at its new home, and now I am thinking about making another version.  Such a great pattern!

On a Whim quilt

xo, A

previous post on this quilt:
a new project

28 comments:

  1. so lovely! I really like all those pretty colors playing together so nicely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, great colors! awesome quilt. congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  3. totally beautiful angela and I love that you picked the binding first!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely lovely! Everything about it is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful quilt. What a great gift, your friend is lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's very pretty. What a lucky friend! That binding really is perfect for the quilt. ~Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh this is SO nice! I've been considering this pattern . . .

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is beautiful. I like how you worked from the outside in. The binding is great.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the fabric combo on this one. It could have skewed too easter pastel, but instead it's just really fresh. What's the taupe dot you used? Is that Bonnie and Camille? It's such a great neutral.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's a wonderful quilt! The colors are so fresh and soothing. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's a beautiful quilt! I love this pattern too. I did it in reproductions, but I might just do it again because it looks so great in so many different fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous quilt. I love the binding you chose!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love this colorway! Looks so subtle and soft.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is a great quilt; I love your choice of fabrics.

    It's always nice to see you post.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a wonderful quilt. Gorgeous in every way, form and colour.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the pattern. Your fabrics really make the blocks pop.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love your choice of fabrics. So fresh. I know she will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This pattern is awesome and I love the fabric choices you picked! Interesting how you started with the binding and went from there. Definitely createad a superior result!

    - Katie Fleming
    Kate Michelle Designs

    ReplyDelete
  19. This quilt is GORGEOUS!!!!! Your eye for colors and patterns is just wonderful here. Thanks for sharing!
    -k

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love the way this turned out - it's absolutely fabulous!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. It's beautiful, and I'm amazed at how quickly it came together! I also love that you started with the binding.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love the pattern and the background fabric you chose. I also love love love the binding and can see why you started with it. I love that it looks like scrappy binding, since the colors "change" as it wraps around the quilt. Great finish!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love, love, love that binding! And the rest of the quilt is beautiful, too. So many patterns, so little time, but I'll still put this one in my "someday" pile!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I do love this pattern and your version is just lovely. The border is great!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love your site and I thank you for coming and joining my blog but it for some reason sent you to one that I tried to start. Please join me at www.sewcraftykathy.blogspot.com as it's my blog with new blogs I done. thank you as I really want to keep up with your site as you have some awesome blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a great surprise for a friend! And I love that you used the binding as the focus fabric - it's such a cool print!

    ReplyDelete