Friday, June 22, 2012

stable mates

Horse pillow pocket
Hi friends!  I hope that you are enjoying your summer so far!  Ours has been so nice.  The boys have been taking swimming and tumbling classes, and we've been eating too much ice cream.  Good news - I *finally* got my younger two on the same nap schedule!  I'm sure you moms can relate to my excitement.  Needless to say, there has been plenty of sewing time.  I'm a happy camper.
Horse pillow pocket
I made some gifts for a new friend a couple weeks ago.  Her daughter is 3 years old, and she is a horse lover from a very musical family.  I made her this sweet little Petal Pocket Pillow.   I have been wanting to make one these since Nova released her pattern, I think they are absolutely adorable.

Horse pillow pocket
For the back, I used the guitars from Far Far Away 3 and some Joel Dewberry herringbone.  I usually put an invisible zipper in my pillows, but I had this pretty mustard yellow one that matched perfectly.  I love the pop of yellow, and the exposed zip turned out great.  The binding is a new dot from Jay Cyn for Birch fabrics.  It is the cutest dot, bigger than the kei ones that we are used to.

Horse pillow pocket
I started with the Stable Mates fabric from Alexander Henry (it is older, the selvege says 2005) and pulled out some soft, muted fabrics to go along with it.  The background is natural Essex linen.

Horse pillow pocket
I highly recommend this pattern! I've made my share of dresden pillows, but this is such a fun twist.  The directions and pictures are clear and easy to understand. You'll definitely see some more of these from me; I know of a couple little girls that would love to get one of these for Christmas. 

Horse tote
I also made a cute little tote from the Stable Mates natural colorway.  I used Anna's tote tutorial (which is fantastic!) and paired the horses with Camille's gray dot from her Vintage Modern line.  The inside is brown pez.  I forgot to take a good picture of the tote, I only have this one I snapped before I shipped the package.

Okay, I'll be back soon!  Like I said, I have been busy and have many new projects to share. :)
xo, Ang

13 comments:

  1. this is so cute and so well done. great fabric choices and the pillow pattern looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That pillow is just the cutest. I might even have to try zippers again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really love everything about this- the fabric and color choices are so sweet. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. the pillow turned out so cute angela!! and that you made a little bag to go with is so special. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are both super cute! I especially love those colours, so sweet :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love them Angela! Adorable. & love the prints & colours x Thanks for your lovely words about my pattern x

    ReplyDelete
  7. i hate that the stable mates are so old!!! that print is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so beautiful. I love colour combos, these are among my absolutely favourites at the moment.

    S x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Both the pillow and bag are sweet ~

    ReplyDelete
  10. You always, always make the cutest stuff; and I love the crazy fabrics you use. Nice job on everything!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Super cute pillow! I love the horses and you made great choices for coordinating fabrics. My favorite part, though, is the zipper! I love how you took something utilitarian and made it a design element! Genius!

    ReplyDelete
  12. i love the exposed zipper and the fabric combo for that one!

    ReplyDelete