Thursday, August 23, 2012

a dress for me.

Washi dress!!
I made a Washi dress today!  Well, yesterday and today.  I cut it out and sewed a bit yesterday, and then I did the bulk of the work today.  This is the first dress I have ever sewn for myself.
I made a muslin to check the darts, and I am so glad that I did!  I ended up needing a small, but I had to use the darts from the extra small.  The small darts were definitely in the wrong place.  I don't really like making muslins, but it is totally worth it. 
 I had Steve snap a couple pictures after dinner.  Which makes me think- how in the world do women take pictures of themselves for their blogs?  Yeesh, no fun at all!  Please don't mind the lack of makeup and the messy braid.  Just pay attention to the cute dress, please. :)
I used an older Denyse Schmidt print from my stash, and I made a couple modifications to Rae's incredible Washi pattern.  I scooped out the neck, widened the armholes, that kind of thing.  I'm hoping to try the tunic next, and this time I'll use the cute little neckline that comes with the pattern.  Speaking of the pattern- I highly recommend it!  Rae is very thorough, and the steps are very clear and easy to follow.  I am a newer garment sewer, and I didn't have any trouble following along.  I'll definitely be making more!
 
xo, Ang

17 comments:

  1. You did a lovely job! Snaps for making a muslin first :) I also absolutely love the fabric you chose! It complements the soft lines of the dress well.
    Alie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love how you went with the scoop neck! Looks great!
    cheers
    -k

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the dress, but the casual ease of the pictures with and the braid makes the dress seem so perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. you look darling Angela! This dress is quickly creeping up to the top of my to do list. Now to choose a fabric...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely perfect for you...and you look just grand!
    Toni
    www.lifeinapinkbunnysuit.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the dress! Darts scare the crap out of me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So cute A! And the fit looks perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  8. it's so lovely!!! and these shots of you are great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's super, super cute on you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great job! And I love that you modified the neckline, it's nice to see how the pattern looks without that really signature aspect.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amazing job! I love the scoop neck - that's how i'm planning on making mine. ((Whenever I get around to it, that is.)) It looks great on you. What are you making your "real" version out of?

    ReplyDelete
  12. So very pretty! Both the dress and you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Turned out darling. Makes me (almost) want to make one for me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very pretty,and lovely work,I havn't stitched a dress in years and years.
    Laura x

    ReplyDelete