Friday, December 28, 2012

learning to knit.

honey cowl
I've been knitting for a year and two months now.  I love it as much as sewing, it is one of my most favorite things to do.  I get so many emails from readers asking me how I learned, how they can learn, and if I can share any advice with them.  That is what this post is for :)
honey cowl
When I went to the Sewing Summit last year, I bought some gorgeous yarn and a circular needles in hope of learning to knit.  With the help of my sweet friends Amanda and Deeidre, I learned how to cast on for a project and two basic stitches: knit and purl.  I started a honey cowl.  I tried my hardest to get it to work, but it just was not happening for me.  I felt like I was missing something, or that something wasn't making sense.  When I got home I ripped out my project and hopped on the internet to figure out what was wrong.  I needed to teach myself.
honey cowl
Thanks to a few recommendations, I landed on knittinghelp.com.  It is a very informative website that has everything you need to teach yourself how to knit.  I watched videos on knitting and purling, and I realized that the English method (where you hold the yarn in the RIGHT hand and throw it around your needle) just wasn't my thing.  I watched the videos and taught myself to knit using the continental method, which is perfect for me.  In this method, the yarn is held the LEFT hand, and you don't throw the yarn.  This made so much sense to me, and everything just fell into place.  I am a crocheter, and when you crochet, you hold the yarn the same way as you do when continental knitting.  Well, I do anyways. :)
honey cowl
Once I taught myself to knit from those videos, I just fell in love.  It came really naturally to me.  I have to admit, that may partly be due to the fact that I am very comfortable with yarn.  I've been crocheting since I was 7 years old!  But really, I truly think that anyone can learn.
honey cowl
All of this to say.... you can teach yourself to knit!  You can.  I highly recommend the videos on knittinghelp.com.  I've watched other videos elsewhere, but I always come back to these.  There is also an app on that website that you can buy for your phone, and I use it ALL the time.  It is totally worth the money.  If you learn, give continental method a try.  I know it is not everyone's favorite, but I love it.  It is so quick and efficient. 
 
I hope that helps you!  Feel free to keep asking questions.  Good luck!:)
xo, A
 
PS - These pictures are of the honey cowl I finished back in the fall, I finally took some nice pictures of it.  I wear it all the time, and it is one of my favorites.  If you are learning to knit, this is a great beginners project.  You can find links and details here on my ravelry page.

27 comments:

  1. I love that site also. When I taught myself how to knit it saved me a lot of times. Love the cowl and all its grayness. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just "friended" you over at ravelry. Sewing was my first love but then I needed something more portable when kids came along...and I love it as much too, which I hadn't thought possible. I am actually more of a knitter I think. I'll enjoy continuing to be inspired by you, here and there now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Angela, that is so beautiful! I would never have known that you were a beginner. I made a honey cowl awhile ago and it's kind of strange until the pattern get going.

    Have a great day :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Knitting is such a relaxing pastime, my nanna taught me to crochet and when I could crochet I found it could knit. I love this cowl, may have to try one of those for next winter (its summer here in Australia and too hot for knitting). Your cowl is beautiful, the yarn looks lovely and silky.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now that colder weather is finally here, I think I'm going to have to make myself one of these honey cowls - my neck is getting cold!! Thanks for all the info and links!

    ReplyDelete
  6. awesome - great knitting! i'm so very impatient when it comes to knitting ... and easily bored. that's why i have a 20 y.o. UFO - sad, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  7. 2 months??!! you make it look like a walk in the park! i keep seeing this honey cowl around IG and blogland and so want to give it a try. It looks gorgeous in the grey. x

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great post! I learned myself to knit about two years ago, and I, too, use the continental method. I simply don't understand the English method, or how to knit anything fast using this method. Also, what a beautiful honey cowl and gorgeous photos, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your cowl is gorgeous! I've been wanting to learn to knit for ages now and will take a look at the site you mention. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful cowl! Would you mind sharing what brand of yarn this is? It's such a pretty grey. Thanks! -Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  11. I learned to knit in grade three. I was definitely given a lifetime gift from that teacher ; )
    Your knitting is beautiful. So even and perfect.
    Happy new year

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely cowl. Thank you so much for the link. I've been thinking about taking up knitting too and the thought is becoming more and more tempting. I sort of learnt the basics in primary school, when I was 10 maybe but didn't touch the needles since then. After watching the videos I know that I must have learnt the continental way, as it looks familiar and somehow more natural to me. Now I just need some yarn and needles :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I learned to knit through some classes at the local yarn shop. It was really nice building a relationship with them. :) And your knitting is like crack for me. HA! I made honey cowls after seeing them on your blog. And I have two other projects that you made coming up. I'm spending way to much time perusing Ravelry and my quilting is just sitting aside. I have very mixed feelings about seeing my sewing machine just sitting there, but I am having fun doing some knitting during these cold winter days. Thanks for the inspiration!

    -Amanda-

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love all your knitting. Where do you order your yarn from?

    ReplyDelete
  15. I started watching the casting-on video and it looks so interesting. I am going to try it. Your honey cowl is just beautiful. I love having a knitting project handy when I watch TV--that way it doesn't seem like I'm wasting time. Thanks for your beautiful pictures and inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  16. If you use the continental method, do you have to re-interpret patterns, or do they work the same way?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No need to reinterpret. Ribbing is a breeze using continental method, as is colorwork since one is accustomed to carrying yarn on left hand.

      Delete
  17. Thanks for this great post & love your honey cowl.
    I learned to knit & crochet as a child. Knitting fell away for awhile, but i picked it back up @ 10 years ago. I always have something on my needles. Just finishing mittens for 2013 child's Christmas gift. On to Sophia's cowl for another grandchild. Last year i gave the young ones rag lap quilts (10). So this year will be knit gifts. Thanks for you post & inspiration. I've taught a lot if folks to knit... Spread the joy!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my goodness, Thank you so much for your inspiration! I thought as a crocheter, I could never learn to knit but after reading this last week I tried again and I think I'm learning!! I did link up to this on my Blog, I hope that's ok! Thanks again for the inspiration to give it another go :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. It's been a while since I've knit anything, but your post (and photos) totally have me wanting to pick up the needles again!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks so much for posting this! I've checked out all your cute stuff on Ravelry! I live in SLC and have never even heard of the Blazing Needles! WTH! I'll be checking it out this weekend! I just picked up knitting, taught myself on numerous You Tube videos. I used to crochet years ago (not very good I'm afraid)...and now I am in love with knitting. Thanks for the beautiful inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. What is the stitch called in the honey cowl?

    ReplyDelete
  22. You know, I taught myself too, all those years ago , and I think one of the reasons I was successful was because I learned to pick, not throw. Knittinghelp is such an amazing resource, they've been around for so long!! I found knitting for dummies to be a big help too - for non-Internet reference :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love all your knitting projects! I have made a Honey Cowl, Monkey socks and am going to start a Rosebud hat tonight all because of you. =) I know I should probably just email on the Plucky Knitter site...but can you tell me how getting yarn from her works? It seems like she only offers yarn at certain times? I have seen the projects you make with Plucky yarn and I WANT SOME! LOL LOL Do you mind filling me in on how I can get some? Thanks in advance...and if you rather me email Sarah directly I can.

    XOXO
    Sarah Russett
    srussett514@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. Top Ten Classified Website List, Pakistani Classified Sites, USA Classifieds, Indian Classifieds, Entertainment Articles, Entertainment News, Entertainment Pictures, Bollywood, Hollywood and Lollywood Pictures and Videos, Entertainment Latest updates, Hot Entertainment News and Pictures Funny Entertainment Pictures, lol Pictures, Funny Pictures and every thing you want...
    www.hotcurrentaffairs.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. Funny Entertainment or Lol Pictures with full of Fun... Entertainment Articles, Entertainment News, Entertainment Pictures, Bollywood, Hollywood and Lollywood Pictures and Videos, Entertainment Latest updates, Hot Entertainment News and Pictures Funny Entertainment Pictures, lol Pictures, Funny Pictures and Much More Fun Only on 1 Current Affairs Network
    hotcurrentaffairs.com

    ReplyDelete