Monday, August 19, 2013

basting made fun.

basting Little Apples
My least favorite part of the quilting process is basting.  Always has been.  As a new quilter, I learned to baste with pins, but as time went on I switched over to spray.  I don't always love the added expense, but it is worth it to me.  It makes the actual basting process go quickly and I love quilting when there are no pins to interfere.  I forgot to buy basting spray for my herringbone quilt so I pulled out my pins for that one.  While the finished quilting turned out fine, it took soooo long!  I may be spoiled, but I learned my lesson and stocked up on my next trip to JoAnn's.
basting Little Apples
basting Little Apples
I basted my Little Apples quilt top one early morning a couple weeks ago.  The house was quiet and the sunrise was peaking through the windows.  Since I was using spray, all of the windows were open for ventilation and the house was nice and cool.  It was the first time I thoroughly enjoyed every minute of basting.  This is such a rare thing for me, I had to snap a few pictures.  I wish it was this enjoyable every time!

Happy Monday! xo, A

14 comments:

  1. I began using spray basting a year ago when all the pinning got too difficult. I am sooooo happy with spray basting. I then quilt it on the Sweet 16 at the Art Studio since I don't have a machine. I have never yet had problems with puckers on top or bottom. I agree the expense is well worth the results.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you do a tutorial on how you spray baste? It looks so neat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How do you avoid over spray so it doesn't end up on your floor? I have four quilts to quilt and really don't want to use pins. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi LeAnne, I put an old queen size sheet down on the floor first. It's bigger than the quilt and seems to get most of the overspray.

      Delete
  4. I just basted on my floor on Saturday then had to damp mop. It was worth it! A lovely quilt you have there. I really love her fabrics

    ReplyDelete
  5. love this! that quilt is soo pretty. I love quilting quilts, now just to get my machine back from being serviced/cleaned! wow, yours rolls up so smoothly! I'd love to see your whole process with basting. :) quilting too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is exactly why I have stacks of quilt tops, and no completed quilts. I detest basting! So tonight my husband and I are redoing my design wall--using foam core insulation from the hardware store, wrapped with batting, hung on the wall with command strips. Then I can spray baste standing up (after I tape newspapers on the wall--seems like a genius idea to me!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I echo the request for a tutorial. Perhaps?? I've never used spray basting, but that is by far my least favorite part of the process too. Maybe I'm really missing out by not trying it. I've always been paranoid about residue inside my quilt. Ease my fears?? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I absolutely hate basting and I've never tried basting with the spray. Maybe I need to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am a die hard spray baste fan! It goes so much faster, I really have a hard time understanding why people choose pins! Our WalMart even sells spray baste (:

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ditto on the tutorial...looks like you roll and spray a small section at a time? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so afraid to try this without pins on a bigger quilt...I use basting spray on smaller projects...maybe I'm not using enough spray?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've just started using spray. I much prefer it. So much quicker.

    ReplyDelete